The Pilates Push Up
The classical advanced Pilates push up is an advanced move that requires a lot core and upper body strength and stability. This exercise is a challenge for the whole body and needs practice in order to perform correctly and safely.
Points to remember:
- Zip the core – use the core as an anchor for this exercises and lift the abdominals towards you back for better support.
- Imagine the body like a plank of wood long and strong, forming a straight line from the head to the heels. Avoid sinking into the lower back or lowering the head.
- Keep the arms on the back keep the shoulders away from the ears and use the back muscles to push back up.
- Use opposition imagine you are pushing the floor away from you every time you stretch the arms.
- Whole body integration use you whole body during this exercise use your gluteus, inner thighs and feet to support you.
- As low as you can keep correct alignment you don’t have to bend the elbows too much and lower all the way to the floor. Start small; make sure you only go to where your body can support you.
Exercises that will support you towards
performing the full push up:
- Push up against the wall
- Modified push up with knees on the floor
- Holding the plank pose
- Perform Leg Pull Front
- Keep elbows wide